Sunday, February 16, 2014

Time Capsule Events

I started doing Time Capsule Events in my local area as an opportunity to educate mommies and mommies-to-be on the importance of documenting their little ones from the womb and beyond.  I am extremely passionate about this topic, as I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the ramifications of my house catching on fire while I was in the hospital having my son.  I was all out of sorts having to spend my first night out of the hospital in a hotel, and that was in addition to the typical stress of being a new parent.  I was uprooted from my home for a total of five months, and lived in a construction zone for the following three.

As a professional filmmaker, I am pretty devastated that I was unable to capture any of my son's early moments with my professional gear, but what is even more disappointing is that I didn't do more with the tools I did have at my disposal throughout our various temporary housing situations.  And it's because of these reasons I like to help parents feel more confident in capturing their little ones as well as give them a small gift for attending my event, hoping to inspire them to continue to do even more on their own.

During our time together at the event, I spend the first part discussing why it's so important to capture milestones and which milestones are important to capture. I talk about the benefits of having my own baby book as a reference to use with my son and his development.  In addition, I talk about how my son will benefit in the future from the documenting I am currently doing.  I spend the next part of our time discussing tips and tricks for filming and documenting their little ones. I talk about many of the things discussed in my earlier blog posts, as well as help them with issues they may currently have with the tools that they are using.

The final part of the event consists of my attendees writing a letter to their children for a special event in the future. I then film the attendees reading this letter to their child and get some great shots of them interacting with their baby.  I also get some footage of the letter itself in order to capture the emotion that can only be expressed in one's handwriting.  Within the week following the event, I edit it together with some photos that they provide me to create a mini time capsule.

If you currently are in the Los Angeles area and are interested in attending one of my events or hosting one, please contact me.  If you are not local, you can check out my next blog post on how you can host your own time capsule event in your town.

No comments:

Post a Comment